LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-11-2007
Pro Shooter

Gallery: 0
No-shows and cancellations.

Well, it happened again!

I had a shoot booked tonight with a new model that wanted some pictures done for her portfolio. I agreed to do the shoot on basis, and spent the last 2 weeks talking to her regarding what we will be shooting, what outfits she should bring, how she should do her make-up, and all the other fine points of a photo shoot.

I told her that she has to confirm with me the day before the shoot to make sure that she was still coming.

Yesterday morning she send me an e-mail telling me that she was excited to be working with me and would see me tonight. Then, yesterday evening I got another message from her telling me that she will be canceling our shoot, and that she will no longer be modeling. She even went as far as erasing her MM profile

This seems to happen more and more lately. Most of my models seem to flake out on me with ether short notice (under 24 hours) cancellations or just don't show up altogether.

Now this never happens with paying clients. If someone books a shoot with me, they are ALWAYS on time, and ready to shoot. What is it about that makes people think that it's just a game? Why do models think that if they are not paying for the photo shoot it's ok to blow it off?

Photographers: What has been your experience with no-shows and late cancellations.

Also, I want to hear some feedback from the models on this site. What is you take on this?
My tools:
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Canon 85mm f/1.2 L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
Canon 24-105mm f/4 L
Lots of Hensel Lights

----------------------------------------
Advertisement
12-12-2007

Fakes and frauds

That is just horrible and wrong. I do apologize. There is no excuse for it. While on the subject, have you heard of anyone getting paid in fake traveler's cheques?
12-29-2007

no shows

I have this happen every so often, at least the 24 hour notice is far better then the no shows
04-04-2008
lanman

Omg

Thank you for the window. Just the other day this happened to me, but worst. Scheduled with this one model. All the fine details were in order. The day of the shoot I texted her my address upon her request. Throughout the day we are in constant communication through testing. At one point I even go out and pick up some last minute accessories (some fake money to go with the Golddigger's shirt she claim to have.) The time of the shoot came and went. I was left with an empty set and a bunch of fake money. What kills me is, it was on April 1st. I was pissed. Drank a half gallon of Tropicana and shot the crushed carton instead.

Cheers,
04-04-2008
paulhu

Happened too many times

Last weekend, I had a photo shoot for 5 models. All were very excited and even email me two days before the photo shoot. 24 hour before the shoot, I emailed them again stating that the makeup artist is charging by the hour, so if anyone could not make to the shoot, let me know ASAP.

Immediately, one emailed back saying that she just realized that she had to go to a friend's wedding (this one had previous 3 no-show record), so I assume the friend got pregnant and had to get married real quick. Another one emailed saying that she had to move to a new house, so I assume that this was not pre-planned, a new house just became available on the market, and was a good deal to grab. The third one, after getting the makeup artist. bought some new outfits for the shoot, had to ride the bus home in the last minute, and I assume that she was home sick after staying in Atlanta for 2 weeks.

Only the paid one showed up with her makeup artist, and we had a GREAT photo session, shooting about 350 images.

From now on, I would request that models pay a $50 deposit (refundable only when showing up).

Some models feel that since they don't have to pay for the shoot, they have no obligation to show up, and there are always plenty of GWC (guys with cameras) willing to shoot them, just for the thrill of shooting a female model for for FREE.
04-04-2008
lanman

"From now on, I would request that models pay a $50 deposit (refundable only when showing up).

Some models feel that since they don't have to pay for the shoot, they have no obligation to show up, and there are always plenty of GWC (guys with cameras) willing to shoot them, just for the thrill of shooting a female model for for FREE.
Reply With Quote"

You make a very valid point. It seems to me this one girl thinks, I'm just some GWC willing to shoot who ever is available. She text me around 6 in the morning today. Saying that she never made it to New York. However didn't mention anything about the no show. Now I am thinking, I was trying to cast a crack head or something. A deposit is the next logical step.
04-05-2008
Pro Shooter

And yet another no-show!

Oh yea, and on the topic of GWC:
  • Camera - $8,000
  • Lenses - $8,000
  • Lights - $10,000
  • Studio - $250 / Day
  • Experience - 20+ Years
I guess I just saved myself 20 hours of post processing...
My tools:
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Canon 85mm f/1.2 L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
Canon 24-105mm f/4 L
Lots of Hensel Lights

04-05-2008
Super Moderator

Gallery: 32

Yes there are aloft of flaky want to be models and experienced models that pull this stuff. Even those that are coming for a paid shoot have a mile of excuses. This reminds me of a place I used to work, where I had to schedule 15 err workers just to wind up with at least 10 a night and that was a good night. I have had pretty good luck so far, I seem to weed out most of the flakes with email and follow-up calls. If I kept track off all those well i would fill a book up....

Igor got it right GWC (Guys with Camera's) and the difference between a point and shot guy, and a serous professional like:

Igor "Professional Photographer and Editor" 20 years experience $40,000 Equipment
Professional Portfolio Pictures 12x18, and files ready for publication.

Bud "(GWC) Guy from the Bar with camera" 1 month experience $149 PNS Camera
Passes around the Walmart Special 4x6 Prints at the bar.

Which would you chose .....

Cheers
Bill Schuman

My Tools
Nikon D200 w/MB Grip
18-200MM
12-24MM
85MM
Hoya Filters
SB800SL
Hensel Lights
Chimera SoftBoxes

Last edited by ffppro; 04-06-2008 at 08:38 AM.
04-06-2008
picture this 808

Gallery: 2

Models Flake. I have had models flake on a paid (i pay / model pays) and non paid basis. for many modeling is just one more thing that they do. sleep, shopping, or the BF might be to blame. at the top of the list should be apathy and non professionalism. what can you do.

vicne PTP
04-06-2008
Pro Shooter

Now I know I rant and rave about no shows, but you have to give credit where credit is due:

There are only a few really "Flaky" models out there. Most of the girls I work with are prompt, and reliable. They show up on time, are ready to shoot on time, bring exactly the wardrobe that they promised, and most importantly: Have their nails painted! (Got I hate to photoshop in nail polish )
My tools:
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Canon 85mm f/1.2 L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
Canon 24-105mm f/4 L
Lots of Hensel Lights

Show Printable Version
Email this Page
Linear Mode
Switch to Hybrid Mode