01-24-2008

Gallery: 0
portable studio??

Hey what light system would yall get for a starting out/ portable lights??

VMP
Advertisement
01-24-2008
http://www.modelmayhem.co

Gallery: 1

Define portable?

Portable 1 - you shoot indoors, but not in one steady location

Portable 2 - you shoot where ever, not always having access to AC power

Portable 3 - thinking of using hot shoe mountable flashes for size and power issues

Assuming you are thinking of strobes rather then hot lights . . .

What is your $$$$ range?

Personally, I started with an Alien Bee on craigs list, picked up a softbox on ebay, and started learning. I can't knock it.

I also picked up a set of the "chinese lights" you see on ebay for around $300 bucks for the set of 3 lights, backdrops, etc.

I've also rented from Penn Camera for a "Battery powered shoot"

So, what are you looking to do?

Model Mayhem - http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=346163
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/allstar_photography
FLICKR - http://www.flickr.com/gp/87186234@N00/1L4Sk7
STUDIO- STUDIO View: http://picasaweb.google.com/AllStarP...ey=EELRNlCgKt8
FAX: 1 888 862 0524
01-25-2008
Pro Shooter

I personally have 2 separate set-ups that you would consider "portable studios"

1. I bought the Hensel Porty Plus Premium Kit. 3 500 w/s monolights, stands, umbrellas, soft box, reflectors, etc... Combining this with a portable background stand, a larger (40" by 60") softbox, and a beauty dish, makes for a great set up to take with you. When I am shooting anywhere where there is power available, I can set up in 15 to 20 minutes, and be up and running. The kit even comes in 2 travel cases, and packs up very neatly.

2. My 2nd set up is the Hensel Porty Plus Premium kit. It's a 1200 w/s battery powered kit. The kit came with a power pack, 2 batteries, a charger, a 1200 w/s head, stand, etc... I added another 1200 w/s head, a beauty dish, and a large softbox. This is my "outdoor" shooting rig. Again, I can pack everything up in to 2 Hensel bags, and be ready to go in minutes. The batteries last up to 300 shots each, for a combined total of about 600 shots. And with a total output of 1200 w/s with 2 heads I am pushing 600 w/s in to each head!

I also added a Hensel Porty Ringflash to my battery powered set up. Now most of my outdoor shoots consist of ONLY the Porty Battery Pack and the Ring Flash. With 1200 W/S coming out of the ring flash, I use the sun / ambient light for highlights. With this much power coming out from around the lens, there is no need for fill, or reflectors.

Keep in mind that this is not cheap stuff, and combined cost me over $7,000.

Hope this helps.
My tools:
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Canon 85mm f/1.2 L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
Canon 24-105mm f/4 L
Lots of Hensel Lights

----------------------------------------
01-25-2008

Wow would love to spend 7,000 on equipment but I am limited by the fact that I am Soldier so limited budget so I drool every time I look at equipment saving up for the upgrade to the 5d right now shooting on a 20d I bought three years ago and paid the same as what a 5d is going for now and I have a few lens and some props I am building slowly ! I love the great advise but I was thinking along the lines of this
PRO 3 LIGHT STUDIO FLASH/STROBE 480 W/S - eBay (item 190190868822 end time Jan-25-08 08:45:10 PST)

Tell me please what you think( I did write down the other info to see how much I could do the hensel light set for but that will take time..
thanks so much for the quick response..

VMP
01-25-2008
Founder

Gallery: 2

I find that ebay listing a little misleading. They are billing it as 480 WS and that technically is true, but it is actually for 3 160 WS units. Now I have some 160 WS Alien Bees and have been happy with them, but there have been many a time that I wished I had more power in each light. Personally any future light purchases I make will be at least 320 WS units (Like the B800s)

And Yes Igor, I know you Hate Alien Bees.......

Raven
01-25-2008
Super Moderator

Gallery: 32

I found that when you buy the best you get the best and as Igor said Hensel is the way to go, I just had to wait to get mine for six months but I'm glad I waited. The AB where very tempting at half the price but after I compared the features and got feedback from a few top people I knew I had to wait. I purchased the Hensel Integra Pro 3 Plus Kit, it has everything you need to produce professional work. I will be getting a few more Softboxes also but will use what I have until I can get the best, my results will show the value. Hey and don't forget a good light meter the Sekonic L358 Flash Master, This is a killer combonation... Also Highly recommended by the Top Shooters.

-Bill

My Tools
Nikon D200 w/MB Grip
18-200MM
12-24MM
85MM
Hoya Filters
SB800SL
Hensel Lights
Chimera SoftBoxes
01-25-2008

Hensel Integra Pro 3 Plus Kit how much should I pay for this kit??? should I look for used?

thanks for all your input I am going to check out how low I can get this stuff for???

VMP
01-26-2008
Pro Shooter

Here is a link to the Hensel kit at B&H:

Hensel | Integra Pro Plus Super Size 3 Monolight Kit | 7338815SW

They sell it for $ 2,349.95. Unfortunately I have not seen anyone sell these lights on e-bay, so you may have a hard time buying them used.

I do not like Alien Bee lights for many reasons, but if you are on a tight budget, AB800 is the way to go. There are many great photographers out there using these lights. I do own 2 AB800 lights. They are the lights I started with, and I kept them when I upgraded to Hensel.

AlienBees: The Beginner Bee

2 of these kits and a softbox should get you started for under $900. Then add a 3rd light and a beauty dish when you get the cash. And you ready to rock.

My tools:
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Canon 85mm f/1.2 L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
Canon 24-105mm f/4 L
Lots of Hensel Lights

Last edited by ffppro; 01-26-2008 at 11:05 AM.
01-26-2008
Super Moderator

Gallery: 32

Igor
Do the AB800 use the same speed Ring as the Hensel Integra Pro ???
How is the quaility of the AB SoftBox Line??

-Bill

My Tools
Nikon D200 w/MB Grip
18-200MM
12-24MM
85MM
Hoya Filters
SB800SL
Hensel Lights
Chimera SoftBoxes
01-26-2008
Pro Shooter

No, the speed rings are different. I am still using my AB softbox with my Hensels, but I had to buy a new speedring.
My tools:
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Canon 85mm f/1.2 L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
Canon 24-105mm f/4 L
Lots of Hensel Lights

Show Printable Version
Email this Page
Linear Mode
Switch to Hybrid Mode